The Federation is the global leader for the international sport of thoroughbred racing. The Federation seeks to promote all facets of the worldwide sport of thoroughbred racing; protect the welfare of the equine and human athlete; and protect and grow its global social and economic significance for current and future generations.
The objectives of the Federation are to:
- identify, develop and promote best practices as stated in the Articles contained in the International Agreement on Breeding, Racing and Wagering;
- protect the welfare of horses and riders through promotion and co-ordination of standards;
- promote and develop horse racing and thoroughbred breeding worldwide;
- influence at national and international government level;
- promote the integrity of horse racing, breeding, and aftercare standards;
- fight against the use of prohibited substances and practices;
- develop, set and promote global standards in thoroughbred racing;
- assist developing countries to develop better practices;
- promote the integrity of the Grading and Pattern system through the establishment and review of quality control means of black type grading;
- pursue and promote the marketing and commercial opportunities of horse racing worldwide;
- promote international competition; and
- act as an information exchange, distributing data and statistics related to racing and breeding.