|Thursday, January 19, 2006|
|US strack to offer prize money to all starters|
Race track operator Churchill Downs announced it would give prize money (purse) to all starters in its stakes races, changing its policy from giving prize money to only the top five finishers. The only exception would be the Kentucky Derby.
The move, which is a response to promote participation in its stakes races, means that horses finishing 6th or lower will receive 1% of the overall prize money. The other 99% will go to the winner (62% of the remaining purse), 2nd (20%), 3rd (10%), 4th (5%) and 5th (3%).
Churchill Downs will organise 47 stakes races in 2006, with a total prize money of US$10.7 million.